Pages

Wednesday 11 January 2017

Confirmation Once and for All, and Only Once. By Fr. Bede Jarrett



I will probably acknowledge that, to a very large extent, I have neglected to
make use of this sacrament. Of course, I have received it, and I know well
that it cannot be repeated. How, then, can I be held to blame for neglecting
that which I have received just the one time that I can possibly receive it? To
realize this, let me ask myself why it is that it can be received once only. The
answer is obvious that, in receiving this sacrament, I receive a character or
mark on my soul that can never be effaced. What does all this mean? It
means that I cannot receive Confirmation more than once, simply because I
have no need to repeat it. Once given, it is given for always, because the
effects last as long as life lasts.

The grace of Communion may refresh me all my days, but the Presence fades.
Absolution removes all my sins from me. They are forgiven forever. If,
unhappily, I fall again into sin, I must approach this saving sacrament again.
With Confirmation, on the other hand, the sacramental grace perseveres until
the end. Once I have been marked with the grace of Confirmation, I have had
set up in my soul a power, a force, that never runs dry or can be drained or
even wholly affected by sin. When I do wrong, the grace ceases to work, but
it does not cease to exist. Therefore, as soon as I have reconciled myself to
God, back again comes the flood that Confirmation for good and all
established within me.

Hence, the value of Confirmation does not exist simply in the day of my
reception of it, but is to be made use of all the days of my life. The indwelling
of the Spirit of God that began at Baptism is now made perfect and the
wonderful Sevenfold Gifts of God are put into my charge. With me, it lies
whether I have the benefit those gifts can confer or not.