Pages

Wednesday 21 December 2016

God’s Unchanging Love By Fr. Bede Jarrett


Something overpowering is in the concept of this work of God, this unceasing and unchanging love. I talk of fidelity in friendship as being to me the most beautiful thing on earth. The sight of a lover faithful to his beloved, despite disillusionment, is the most wonderful thing in the world—loyalty of soul for soul, despite every toil and stress, good repute and evil; above all ambition and beyond all degradation; when soul has been knit to soul.

Love is not love Which alters, when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove.
Yet, this is but a feeble representation of the ineffable union between God and myself. Sinner though I be, He is my lover always. Even my sins cannot break His persistence. My sins can only set a barrier between myself and His persistence, can only (by the dangerous gift of my free will) prevent its effect from being seen in my soul. The love of God is with me always, “in me and within me and around, in million-billowed consentaneousness, the flowing, flowing, flowing” of the Spirit.
How can I hold back, howsoever wrongly I have acted, for His love is the same forever? As I was deep in His love when I was a child, so also does He love me now.